Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happy Mother's Day Costa Rican style


Well, we had an uneventful flight here, and Charlie and Colleen were at the airport to greet us. Since then we have seen a volcano (Poas), hiked to the base of beautiful waterfalls, played with toucans and butterflies, and had close-up views of many hummingbirds.

We spent 2 days walking for hours to go to stores to get supplies we need. I've discovered that I definitely need a list, because once I'm in the store, I forget everything that I needed!

We had, what I consider, our first Spanish lesson. It was going to church. The children went to Sunday school as well as we, and we did our best to catch some of the meaning. We followed along in our Bibles, and thank goodness the preacher gave an outline of the sermon. That made it to where we knew what he was talking about. Everyone was very pleasant, and to top it off, they were celebrating Mother's Day today. It was actually last Saturday, but they waited for their pastor to be back in town to honor the mothers. Mary-Esther actually stood on the alter with her SS class and waved a heart that said, "Te amo, mamacita!." (I love you, little mama!) I had to go up to recieve a present, a pretty ceramic box. I like the idea of having two Mother's Day in a year. I think we should keep it up!

Our near neighbors have just arrived, and they have 4 children, also. Two boys close to Devon's age and two girls within the my girls' ages. They are very nice and are an answer to my prayers.

We took a bus to the swimming pool in San Jose. The water temp. was about 75, needless to say, I didn't get in. Everyone had a great time. Afterward, we walked to McDonalds, and then walked home. Tonight, we are going to our neighbor's house to watch a movie and eat popcorn. I miss my friends at home, but thank God for new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment