Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kekchi Indian

Today, while Devon and I were mowing the lawn, a Kekchi man walked up to us and spoke in Spanish. He explained that he was Kekchi and wanted to know if we understood Spanish, because he didn't know English. We said, "yes" and he asked if we had any work he could do. Well, Charlie wasn't here (he was visiting a village named Hicatee with other health care workers) so I told him that I didn't have any work, but I would give him lunch.

While I was making a sandwich, I remembered the Bible Charlie had just bought in the Kekchi language. I had looked at it, but couldn't make any sense of it. So, I had the idea to give the man a small job.

I asked him to read me verses so I could hear how to pronounce the words. I chose John 3:16, Romans 3:23, and Romans 6:23. I tried to record him with my flip so I could practice later, but I didn't push the right button. Hopefully, he'll come back, and we can go over some more verses. Next time, I'll add Romans 5:8!

It was awesome hearing him read verses I know in English, in Kekchi, and then discuss them in Spanish. I was on a high for several hours after that. Please take a moment and pray for him and his people. He lives in a remote village on the Guatemalan border.

1 comment:

  1. what a special divine appointment!
    we've enjoyed reading your blog and can't wait for your next post! you are in our prayers.
    By the way, Reese has decided that we need to take a field trip to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete